Re: Need ideas about building smarter agents

From: Norberto Eiji Nawa
Subject: Re: Need ideas about building smarter agents
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:53:10 +0900

Hello Paul,

pauljohn> I wonder if anywone has the El Faroul simulation written for
pauljohn> swarm?

I also wonder the same :-) Please, let me know if you get some news.

pauljohn> I'd like to build a model where agents can learn and adapt their
pauljohn> strategies, and I'd really like some examples how to do it. Didn't
pauljohn> someone in here talk about a stock market model with agents that learn
pauljohn> (not like the one distributed with swarmapps?).

Coincidently, after reading Arthur's paper I became interested in
simulating the El Farol problem with some "realistic" learning
agents. I found a reference that might be of your interest, "Modelling
Bounded Rationality using Evolutionary Techniques", B.Edmonds and
Scott Moss. It can be found at

http://www.cpm.mmu.ac.uk/~bruce/

under "Publications".

What would be the focus of your study on learning agents? The learning
models themselves (so they ought to be as "realistic" as possible) or
the overall collective behavior, with simple learning models? I would
be glad to hear your ideas.

Regards,

Eiji

--
Norberto EIJI Nawa      - M.Eng. student - Uchikawa Laboratory
  Dept. of Information Engineering - Graduate School of Engineering