chemotaxis, parallel, schedule [was Re: more help please]

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: chemotaxis, parallel, schedule [was Re: more help please]
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:40:14 +0100 (BST)

Hi Laurence,

> Q1: The enzymes that work antagonistically seem to be waiting for a method
> to finish instead of interrupting that method by calling it again with a
> different value as a parameter (so as to change a flag).  Can an object
> execute the same method more than once at a time?  If not, how can the
> execution of methods be interrupted?

Hm, you could make a substepping loop in your agent that is executed x
times per global time step. This would avoid the schedule mechanisms. So,
in -step make a -substep or something. -step is still only executed once.

> Q2: I have a BLT graph monitoring the state of the motor (represented as an
> int, range 0-4).  However, the messages sent to the receptors trigger 1000s
> of other messages, some of which affect the motor state.  Instead of showing
> this, the graph waits until every message has been sent before continuing,
> displaying only the motor's final state after many fluctuations.  How can I
> get to graph to keep going whilst other messages are being sent?

If you really want to see the change due to every single message sent to
the receptor, you might have to rework your timestep definition and make
say 1000 small steps instead of one large one. Then you choose an enzyme
that will send a message to the receptor at this step. Next step another
enzyme gets attention.

Hope that helps,

Jan.

Jan Kreft                               Phone +44 1222 874000 ext. 6036
School of Pure and Applied Biology      Fax   +44 1222 874305
Cardiff University                      E-mail address@hidden
PO Box 915, Cardiff CF1 3TL, UK

> Best wishes, Laurence (address@hidden)

Hi Steve,

changed the subject line as you may have noticed.

Jan.