Re: swarm

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: swarm
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 16:47:37 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Joseph:

There is not yet a primer, but there are ways to get started. In the Swarm
1-2 documentation package, there is a nice set of general information
about modeling and swarm.  There is online in the SFI pages Benedikt's
Stefansson (sp????) tutorial for swarm. Rick Riolo at U. Michigan had
an outline of his course on Swarm on the Web and I found it excellent. In
the online faq, I've been assembling answers to more specific "how to"
questions.  The online faq at
http://valinux.pols.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq.html has a heading
"educational resources" where I don't have much, but I do have URLs for
Benedikt's stuff on his UCLA site and Rick's stuff at U Mich.  (You might
tell me what else you find, I'll put it in there).

Most of us agree that there is a dire need for a Primer or such and we
are discussing the best way to bring it about.  I've only been at this
for about a year, but I understand the problem.  Writing something for the
newcomer is very taxing because each detail must be written out with care.
People who have gotten "over the hump" with Swarm are busy with their
research are too busy for that.  And,  after a time, they  can't remember
what it was like to be a new user.

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, joseph melotte wrote:

> dear sir,
> is existing a 'primer' or introductionary text for the 'swarm'-project?
> sincerly yours,
> j.melotte
> 21.6.98
>
> resent on 30th july 98.

University of Kansas                  Office: (913) 864-9086