Re:

From: Chimera
Subject: Re:
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 15:55:09 -0700

George,

   The documentation of the random # generators in the swarm docs, either
1.0.5 or 1.2 is quite complete.  It will tell you how to set up the normal
dist along with a detailed discussion of the pro's and con's of each type
of generator.  I don't understand your question about the seed.  Do you
mean that you want to initialize it with a seed, generate 520 numbers then
reset it to a new seed, generate 520 #'s etc?  Once again, you will find
all this in the best documented area of the swarm docs.  You know that if
you are doing sequential runs, and you just want to know that starting
state for each run, you don't need to reset the generator.  You can just
save the generator state, and continue the present stream.

Cheers,

   D3

George F Dickinson wrote:

> I need to generate 520 random numbers durring the execution of my
> simulation. I am not familiar with your generators and was wondering
> if there is a simple way to make the seed change with every execution
> and what generator to use. The numbers must have a mean of 1 and a
> standard deviation of 3 and a normal distribution.  Can someone give
> me a pointer?  George Dickinson

* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*