Re: Repeating Simulations: Drone or what?

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: Repeating Simulations: Drone or what?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:26:39 -0400 (EDT)

As you might expect, I use drone for doing batch experiments,
both with swarm and with other programs.

Perhaps a full sim package should have features for running
replicable experiments, including keeping logs of why
one did the experiments, where the control files are for
various experiments, and so on.
I can see situations where this tight coupling would
be useful.  For example it woudl be useful to automatically monitor
experiments and start new ones based on the earlier results...this could
generalize into, for example, a system to use an EA (GA) to
search a parameter space.

On the other hand, these features are useful and common
to any situation where one wants to do computational experiments.
Thus it would seem to me that it would be useful to have
these experiment running and management features be
separate from any particular program, sim lib, etc.
That's what we've tried to do with drone.
Its not got all I wish it had, but it has proved to be a very good and
useful tool even as it stands.

I know of one person who is writing a experiment controller/manager
in Java...I don't think its been released yet, and if I get
some time I would like to work with him to get as much of
drone functionality (actual and wished for) into his package.

You can follow pointers on
   http://www.pscs.umich.edu/LAB/Doc/SwarmStuff/UM-swarm-index.html
to see how we generally use swarm (and other packages) with drone.
We happen to use a small (kludgy) parameter handling package
for our swarm apps, but (as far as I know) it should be possible
to use the newer parameter processing class built in swarm
to create swarm apps that are drone-compliant.
(Of course we have sven's message about a possible problem...)

Now to show my acronum ignorance:
What are RPMS and SRPMS in the context of the message below?

 - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html