Minor point on --help message and -V messages

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Minor point on --help message and -V messages
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:35:53 -0400 (EDT)

Do you really want this note about bug reports in the
default --help message to come as default for all apps:

badger-rlr)testpars --help
Usage: testpars [OPTION...]

  -s, --varyseed             Run with a random seed
  -b, --batch                Run in batch mode
  -m, --mode=MODE            Specify mode of use (for archiving)
  -t, --show-current-time    Show current time in control panel
  -?, --help                 Give this help list
      --usage                Give a short usage message
  -V, --version              Print program version

Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional
for any corresponding short options.

Report bugs to address@hidden
It would seem to me that most apps would like to direct
users somewhere more local.

Also the -V option reports the *swarm* version, not
really the *program* (sim) version.

Or is there an easy way to overide that --help message that I don't know?

If there isn't, I would suggest it would be useful to have
some easy way to override or add to the help message.
(and the --usage message).

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html