Re: modelProbeMap in simpleExperSwarm.m

From: Zafar Iqbal
Subject: Re: modelProbeMap in simpleExperSwarm.m
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:14:58 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998 19:16:22 -0500 "Sven N. Thommesen"
<address@hidden> wrote:

> At 02:08 PM 9/12/1998 +0100, Zafar Iqbal wrote:
> >Hi,
> >thanks for your help - much appreciated.
> >
> >Looking through the tutorial and my
> >own code I am still unable to resolve the display problem.
> >Note I now have my prog along the ObserverBug2 framework.
> >The worldRaster is displayed but no agents. The program
> >gets 'stuck' at the line (see below for complete code)
> > agentDisplay = [agentDisplay createEnd];
> >
> >No error is produced the prog just hangs up. I can't see
> >why this is. It may possibly be something to do with the
> >[controlPanel setStateStopped]; command because in my code
> >it is commented out but the program still stops. If I
> >uncomment it I need to press start twice and the
> >worldRaster widget isn't displayed at all.
> >
> >I'm using the binary install of swarm-1.1
>
> Zafar,
>
> you dont show your -buildActions and -activateIn: methods, but if you
> create actions in the same order you created the objects, let me suggest
> you reverse the order of 'agentDisplay' and 'plotDisplay'. They are both
> created to display on the same raster ('worldRaster'), so the one that
> displays last will wipe out the one that displays first. If you want to
> make sure you always see the bugs, make 'agentDisplay' display last. If you
> really need to see both agents and plotlists, you need to create separate
> rasters to show them. Or, have each type of object display nothing if there
> is no agent/plotlist on a given square.

Nothing is displayed in the worldRaster, no matter what
order I have the 'agentDisplay' and 'plotDisplay'.

> Second, do upgrade to 1.3.

Once bitten twice shy as they say. I had some problems
installing last time. Due to outdated info which was very
misleading and inappropriate, I'm on my own apart from this
list.
Also as a student I have restrictions on what I can do. For
instance I tried to install the binary version of swarm-1.3
for windows 95. On installing cyg_win the installation
process attempts to make an icon in the programs folder. I
don't have permission to write there so inevitably it
aborts...
Similar problems with unix. I only have write permission
for my home account. Therefore I have to be careful to
change the 'normal places' where any swarm or associated
software looks for things.
For solaris I have to install the source version of
swarm-1.3 and ALL the needed software.
Plus time is short, I have to have this completed soon.
At times like these the CD-rom version which is intended to
be hassle free, seems like paradise :-)

> Third, it might be useful to put newlines (\n) at the end of your printf
> strings.
This I have done and it fixes the output to the terminal
window. Thanks !!! The problem with worldRaster remains...

> Fourth, yes if you uncomment the -setStateStopped call then the program
> halts right there; since the worldRaster is created later in the program it
> won't be created until after the user has hit 'start' on the control panel.
> (I have several calls to setStateStopped in my own app, to give the user
> several opportunities to set parameters. This is not a problem.)
I was curious as to why it stops if I have
all -setStateStopped calls commented out.

Zafar

Zafar Iqbal
address@hidden