Re: Nested Swarms and Schedules

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Nested Swarms and Schedules
Date: 09 Dec 1998 13:55:21 -0800

B> Each of these in turn creates a schedule and action group
B> which schedule internal events (the four PD stage games between the
B> two players).

Logically, is it necessary or useful to have a time ordering to the
four games?  Futher, is it necessary or useful to have a time ordering
to the tournaments across all the agents?  I almost get the impression
that, conceptually, *everything* could be done in parallel (ignoring
that this would violate the intuition of an agent as a person with
finite attention resources).

If it is the case that there are not ordering constraints to the games,
then everything could and should be scheduled for the same time
step.  This way, the ModelSwarm/ObserverSwarm time inconsistency
wouldn't come up.

What other notion of time is there in this simulation other than
the generation number?

B> By the way, in some of the early mission statements for Swarm and
B> in my own tutorial we depict virtual clocks in each sub-Swarm which
B> are supposed to run "on their own time."

If there were multiple time scales in Swarm (there aren't now), you'd
still have to specify the scaling or pairwise relative boundary
conditions.  So let's say we were modeling a person and her pets, and
the pets all had different perceptions of time, you'd at least need
some way to say in the {Human0 {Dog0 Cat0}} embedding, "ok, that was
one human time step".

I think that at some point you have to draw a line in the sand and
distinguish subjective and objective.  If you are interested in the
relation between two identifiable things happening in the world at the
same time (of whatever scale), use schedules, if you don't care write
a method to do it and give the poor agent some privacy.

Anyway, Swarm makes agents in a simulation experience time in the same way,
i.e. when I'm thirty my father will be sixty and vice versa.