copyright documentation for swarmdocs?

From: Paul Box
Subject: copyright documentation for swarmdocs?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:42:57 -0700

OK, here's one I didn't expect to be asking this list about.

I downloaded the postscript versions of the swarmdocs the other day,
and after a couple of days of tending the printer I was able to print
out the 400+ page reference manual.  I gave this to one of the other
faculty members in our swarm community here, and he kindly printed out
a few copies at our local copy center and provided them to each of the
groups that are using swarm.

This afternoon, I decided to make a couple of more copies, and sent a
student down to the copy center with the documents in hand to get the
job done.  This time, the clerks of the copy center balked, pointing
to the copyright on the first or second page, saying that they could
not reproduce "copyrighted" material.  I explained the terms of the
GNU liscence to the clerk, which she relayed to her manager, to which
the manager wished to see some written confirmation.  When I produced
the GNU CC manual, which has a clause about permission to reproduce
without alteration, she pointed out that that did not constitute
"written permission from the Santa Fe Institute" (who owns the
copyright).

I suppose I can just take the stack to the copy center that did the
first set of copies.  However, is there any clause in the swarm
documents that gives express permission to reproduce documents?  Was I
actually breaking the law with the first set of copies?  Is there a
legal distinction between printing from a laser printer and a copy
machine?

Perplexed in Utah

--
// Dr. Paul Box

*  If Elvis was so great, why was he buried in the back yard like a
*  hamster?