Re: getClass

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: getClass
Date: 04 Feb 1999 10:36:41 -0800

JM> can anyone give me some info on how getClass can be used? I'd
JM> like to be able to see if an object is of a certain type and act
JM> on this information, but I'm not sure exactly how I'd go about
JM> this.

Something like this:

if ([obj getClass] == [MyClass getClass])
  {
  }

JM> What exactly does getClass return anyway?

The same thing as you'd get from "[obj class]" -- the Objective C
structure that describes the layout of the object, the protocols that
the object will implement, etc.

The reason for the Swarm-specific interfaces to Objective C are not
something I especially want to advocate, but it has to do with a
historical desire to make Swarm provide all of it's own
runtime support in more of an object-oriented way, independent of
libobjc.a.