Re: Defininng and using an object as a Swarm and a SwarmObject at thesa

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Defininng and using an object as a Swarm and a SwarmObject at thesame time.
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:14:27 -0600

Dear Joseph:

I think there is some kind of mixup going on with your question and
their answers. The example you show below is one in which there are two
classes created in the same file.  The ParameterManager is a SwarmObject
and ExperSwarm is a GUISwarm.  They are not a single class just because
they were put together in a single file. I wish it were not written this
way, because it is truly confusing to new users.  For educational
purposes, you could consider trying to separate their code into two
files and then editing the Makefile so that they are truly separate.
THe only interesting part would be separating the import files so that
the ones which apply to one class go with it into a separate file. If
your result compiles, I think you should make a patch and submit it for
the swarmapps package to save future users that confusion.

Now, going back to the original question, it has not been clear to me
from the start that you need multiple anything. I don't recall seeing an
explanation of which methods you require in a SwarmObject in your
simulation that you don't have access to?  I'm afraid that the specific,
precise terminology that the Swarm experts use may not be the same
terminology that you and I use, and so when we ask a question, they
don't quite understand what we mean.

I don't mean to fall off the bus here, and if I've totally missed the
point of your question I'm sorry. Perhaps you could refer me to which
mail message has the most detailed description of the modeling project
you are trying to work on and I'll understand it better.

"Joseph E. Villa" wrote:

> Alex,
>
> Thanks for the correction/commentary! What is the appropriate way to
> refer to the following (the part where two interfaces subclass/inherit
> from two superclasses [SwarmObject & GUISwarm] within a single class
> [simpleExperBug])?
>
> Joseph Villa

> // ExperSwarm.h                                 simpleExperBug
>
> // The ExperSwarm is a swarm that manages multiple invocations of a
> // model.
>
> #import "ModelSwarm.h"
> #import <simtoolsgui/GUISwarm.h>
> #import <objectbase/SwarmObject.h>
> #import <objectbase.h>
> #import <analysis.h>
>
> // First, the interface for the ParameterManager
>
> @interface ParameterManager: SwarmObject
> @end
>
> // Now, the Experiment Swarm Interface
>
> @interface ExperSwarm: GUISwarm
> @end

Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                    Office: (785) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045                  FAX: (785) 864-5700