For the Brave: Swarm & related RPMs for RH6

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: For the Brave: Swarm & related RPMs for RH6
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 12:59:20 -0500

OK, so the RedHat 6.0 experience was so good on one machine I'm
installing on the others, and so I made RPMS.  Some slight hacks were
needed for Swarm, but nothing should affect performance.

How to distribute?

in my homepage, I created 2 directories

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/RPMSforRH6-glibc2.1

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/RPMSforRH5-glibc2.0

In each directory, you should find a copy the RPM for libffi, hdf5,
R-with-hdf5, and swarm.  In both editions, I so far made only
swarm-with-hdf5 support, no swarm without hdf5 has been made.  If you
want swarm-without-hdf5, just take the src.rpm file and rebuild your own
rpm.
This is true even though the rpm file in the RPMforRH5-glibc2.0 has the
name "swarm" and the newer RPM is called "swarm-with-hdf5".

If they don't work, please notify me ASAP and I'll backtrack my
mistakes.

I'm also working on creating a new directory /SRPMS that will have the
source RPMS that are common across the two versions, which at the moment
includes libffi and R.

I also have to update the README file, give it time..

In case you have not yet noticed, we are out of the blt rpm business
since RH5.2, when they started including blt again in the official
distribution.

WARNINGS WARNINGS WARNINGS

As we have discussed in this list, there are some frightening looking
but insignificant warnings about undefined symbols that appear when you
compile swarm stuff under RH6.  These warnings are discussed by Marcus
in an email on with the subject "Re: Oh heck. Glibc 2.1 (was Re: Problem
with tutorial for swarm-1.4.1" Tue, 04 May 1999 23:05:32 -0700.  Check
the email list if these concern you.

Also, I think the gdb distributed with RH6.0 is a flat-out bust, it
segfaults on me all the time, and so I've gone back to using the
gdb-objc from the swarm ftp.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn