Re: Difficulties in compiling Swarm 1.4.1 under RH Linux 6

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: Difficulties in compiling Swarm 1.4.1 under RH Linux 6
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:44:15 -0500

I admire your spirit and think it is a great learning experience that
you are undergoing.

Last week I put down some stuff about RH6 and Swarm in the faq:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html

Jason Alexander wrote:

> After downloading, installing, and using (successfully) Paul Johnson's
> wonderful rpm package of Swarm, I decided (out of sheer masochism, I'm
> now convinced) to download the source of Swarm and compile it myself.
> In doing so, I have encountered several problems I am not entirely sure
> how to solve.  (For the record, I'm using RH Linux 6.0.)
>
> First, I encountered several compile-time errors complaining that the
> "strdup" macro was called with an incorrect number of arguments.
> Inspecting the source files, it didn't appear as if there was an actual
> error.  I found that inserting an line containing
>
>         #undef strdup
>
> before any of the problem areas allowed the compilation to complete
> smoothly.
Yes, there's a patch that does just that.  And a couple of other things
require patching as well.  (one deals with arguments, as you found
below).

> I then called "make install" to install the libraries, etc. into the
> directory /home/jalex/swarm-1.4.1
>
> However, I cannot successfully build my own Swarm applications using the
> libraries I've compiled myself (my applications build and run
> successfully, though, if I change the definition of SWARMHOME at the
> start of the Makefile to use Paul's Swarm distribution).
I used the patched egcs to build my swarm rpm, so it does not give you
those silly warnings.

> Attached below is what "make" reports during an attempted compile:
>
> address@hidden bayes]$ make
> egcs -c -Wno-import -Wno-protocol -g -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE
> -I/home/jalex/swarm-1.4.1/include Agent.m
> egcs -c -Wno-import -Wno-protocol -g -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE
> -I/home/jalex/swarm-1.4.1/include main.m

Since you installed swarm in an "out of the way place", you need to
follow the instructions that you see at compile time to use
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to add your swarm libraries to your compiler's path.

> /usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
> `__objc_class_name_SwarmObject' are not defined
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
> `__objc_class_name_Discrete2d' are not defined
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
> `__objc_class_name_Colormap' are not defined
>
> Although the linker calls the above messages "warnings", the resulting
> binary will not run. (It keeps quitting will the cryptic error "bayes:
> Too many arguments" even though I did not call it with any arguments
> from the command line.
This warnings are not fatal. Other problems with your swarm build are
causing the trouble. IN particualr, the too many argument business is
due to a change in the argument processing features in glibc2.1. There's
a patch for that.

> I've tried recompiling Swarm with both the "--enable-shared=yes" and
> "--enable-shared=no" options and found that this didn't fix the problem.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who has managed to successfully
> compile Swarm under a RH Linux distribution could send a few tips my way
> about what I might be doing wrong.
This is just what the FAQ is for :)

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden