Great news: Infodock/X-OO-Browser/Hyperbole now free/open!

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Great news: Infodock/X-OO-Browser/Hyperbole now free/open!
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:49:10 -0500

Since we had a little flap in this group about development environments,
I thought I should pass along this great news.

Some of  you may recall that until recently Xemacs included some bits of
Infodock software in their distribution.  Hyperbole and the object
browser were the best, IMHO.

ANyway, the version of the object browser was retarded, its graphical
component did not work on modern pcs, and they encouraged you to buy
some ungodly expensive upgrade.  THen the most recent Xemacs dropped it
altogether.

Today in freshmeat I saw that the full versions of Infodock, hyperbole,
and OO-Browser are available for free download from a company called
BeOpen. If you want to buy support from them you can, but you don't have
to. These are the full versions.

The infodock thing is a FULL version of Xemacs that they have tweaked
and it includes all the addons, including OOBRrowser and hyperbole.  If
you install infodock, all you have to do is put a little bit of magic
recipe in your ~.infodock file (same as  .emacs syntax).

THey also make hyperbole and OObrowser available separately, and you can
grab the lisp code and install them yourself in the emacs/Xemacs of your
choice.

http://www.BeOpen.com/

This version of the object browser includes the graphical stuff, so you
can see the hierarchy of swarm classes in front of your eyes. THe docs
on it say it also supports formal protocols/categories, but I've not
experimented with that yet.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn