Re: Swarm2.0.1 make errors

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Swarm2.0.1 make errors
Date: 05 Oct 1999 13:44:38 -0700

SJ> SwarmC.java SwarmC.java:8: cannot access class SwarmProcessS; file
SJ> swarm/activity/SwarmProcessS.class not found

Are you using the javac from Kaffe?  It is picky about cross module
references.  With Kaffe on Linux-based systems, I use jikes:

  ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/needed-software/jikes-047-linux

At configure-time, you can specify using it with:

  JAVAC=jikes $SWARMSRCDIR/configure --srcdir=$SWARMSRCDIR [etc].

Note that newer versions of jikes don't do the right thing with
interfaces, but that really only shows up when compiling a Java model,
not when building Swarm.  I have a symlink from `jikes' to `javac' and
then specify JAVAC=javac to avoid hardcoding jikes in the Swarm
makefiles and scripts (and the symlinked javac is before the Kaffe
javac in my PATH).  This makes Swarm build fast, but doesn't commit me
to using jikes.