RPMs for HDF5 and R 0.65.1

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: RPMs for HDF5 and R 0.65.1
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 12:53:58 -0500

Dear everybody:

RPMs for HDF5, a dataset formatting library, and today's release of R
that is built with it, are now available.  The R RPM uses the spec file
created by the official packager Martyn Plummer as a starting point, and
makes only a few trivial changes.

-rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      100       3416612 Oct  6 17:45
R-base-with-hdf5-0.65.1-1.i386.rpm
-rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      100       2300453 Oct  6 17:48
R-base-with-hdf5-0.65.1-1.src.rpm
-rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      100          5778 Oct  6 17:49
R-base-with-hdf5.spec
-rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      100       1987918 Oct  6 17:38
hdf5-1.2.0beta1r2-1rh6.i386.rpm
-rw-rw-r--   1 ftp      100       1326762 Oct  6 17:41
hdf5-1.2.0beta1r2-1rh6.src.rpm

To the best of my knowledge, these RPMs work perfectly well. I've
installed R and run the demo programs, no problems.  I'm not an
experienced R user, so I can't say I have done much more with them than
that.  If there is something wrong, I'd be glad to know.

The HDF5 RPM provides their version "1.2.0 beta1 release 2", which
appears very stable and workable. As soon as I hear NCSA releases a
final version of 1.2, I will announce an RPM for it.  According to my
conversations with NCSA staff, there is no "official hdf5" rpm package,
so that is why I'm offering this one.

If you care to try them out, you can get the RPMS here.

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.0_RPMSforRH6

In case you wonder "what does this have to do with Swarm?" the idea is
to use R as a "front end" for the creation of HDF5 formatted datasets,
which can then be read by the Swarm library during simulations.  In the
WorkingExampleCode section of the FAQ, I've got some of Marcus Daniels's
postings on how HDF5, R, and Swarm can work together.