Windows Install followup (was FATAL ERROR- help)

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Windows Install followup (was FATAL ERROR- help)
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 14:10:20 -0500

Murali Nandula wrote:

> Yes. I dont have a /tmp directory. (BTW you got a third eye or what?)

In the Swarm FAQ, I said this concerning the last edition of Swarm for
Windows

----------------insert
quote-----------------------------------------------------

2. Download the Swarm stuff. Make a directory c:\tmp\swarm and then go
to ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm and get these 2 files and save them
in c:\temp\swarm:

swarm-1_4.exe (or swarm-2.0.exe, as your case may be)

swarmapps-1.4.tar.gz (or swarmapps-2.0.tar.gz)

(Windows muffs the second file name and saves it as
swarmapps-1_4_tar.gz. Don't worry about it).

In explorer, go to c:\tmp\swarm and doubleclick on swarm-x_x.exe. Say
OK, follow the boxes, if you accept the defaults the swarm library will
be installed in c:\Swarm-x.x.
When it asks if you want to reboot, say yes. After the reboot, look in
your start menu, see the Swarm item and its "terminal" subitem, choose
that and you see an "X terminal" in which you can type unix commands and
do unix stuff. I think we ought to call that box a "Swarm-term", but
nobody else sees any humor in it.

POSSIBLE INSTALL PROBLEMS

1. During Swarm install, you may get "Severe: could not find PATH in
autoexec.bat". That crashes the installation. If you see this, use
explorer to look in c:\ for the file
autoexec.bat. Do you find it? Do you have PATH in there? If not, create
one with a text editor and add a line like this:

PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

Then in explorer, go back to c:\temp\swarm and double click on
swarm-1_4.exe to try installing again.

2. If you do not have a directory called c:\tmp, you will get an error
message about it when you first run the swarm-term. So why not just
create one?

Referring to the last point, does Windows Swarm no longer bother the
user about creating c:\tmp?

If someone has made notes on their windows install, please look at the
fAQ and tell me what needs to be updated for this version.

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#3.2

pj