Help for a newby

From: David Smith
Subject: Help for a newby
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:09:13 -0700 (MST)

I am just learning Swarm, going through the tutorials.

In the declarations found in the .h files I find the following:

FoodSpace *food;
id <Grid2d> world;
Bug *reportBug;

id bugList;
etc.

What is the difference between these declarations? Wouldn't it siginfy
the same to declare
id <Grid2d> World;
like
Grid2d *world;
?

I assume that
id bugList;
declares a variable, bugList, as a reference to a generic object that may
need to be typecast later. It appears to be magically cast in the .m file
with
buglist = [List create: self];

David Smith