Re: HexGrid?

From: Pau Fernandez
Subject: Re: HexGrid?
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:28:56 +0100

>Is there work being done on a space composed of hexagons?
>Where would one start? (I'm not sure of terminology for seaching
>the Web)

Well, I've done some work on hexagonal spaces myself, but the implementation is
intended for "active walkers" (i.e. ants and the like). The spaces are in fact
stored as if they were square, but the "way of moving" is changed. In
particular, if the neighbourhood of a square-space is 8, in a hex-space that is
reduced to 6, and is dependent on your y-coord, so you get a "simulated"
hexagonal space that works fine (for me). I've also written some classes to
display it on a ZoomRaster.

I don't think that is difficult to program unless you need non-local
interactions (i.e. long jumps which would require some special coordinates).
Anyway, tell me if you want to see the code... I've packed everything on a
small "active walker" library.

>Thanks in advance,
>ralf
>--
>http://www.in-berlin.de/User/rws/
>
>                  ==================================
>   Swarm-Support is for discussion of the technical details of the day
>   to day usage of Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp.
>   [un]subscribing), please send a message to <address@hidden>
>   with "help" in the body of the message.
OOO Pau Fernandez Duran
OOO Complex Systems Research Group
OOO Departament de Física i Enginyeria Nuclear (FEN)
UPC

Mòdul B4,   Campus Nord UPC  Tel.   +34-93-4017056
c/ Sor Eulalia d'Anzizu s/n  email: address@hidden
08034 Barcelona
SPAIN