Re: Random Seed question

From: Ralf Stephan
Subject: Re: Random Seed question
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:52:27 +0100

Ted:
> The only reasons I can think of why you might *need* to use a more
> sophisticated method to choose seeds are if you're doing cryptography, and
> (perhaps) if it's required to prove the validity of a statistical test
> for your data.

This leads me to a question I was having for some time but due to lack
of access to literature couldn't answer myself:

Why not use a stream cipher, as they are required by crypto standards
to pass all possible statistical RNG tests, i.e. stream ciphers are
by definition cryptographically secure RNGs, which is stronger than
the usual requirements for RNGs.

Thanks,
ralf
--