Re: Trying to fix longstanding bug: setWindowGeometryRecordName

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Trying to fix longstanding bug: setWindowGeometryRecordName
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 17:28:37 -0600

Thanks.  That fixed the tcl error.

The nil method crash was another stupid error that I had missed, as in :

   summaryGraph = [EZGraph createBegin: self];
    SET_WINDOW_GEOMETRY_RECORD_NAME (opinionGraph);
                                     ^^^^^^^should have been summary

I want to be a better gdb user. Perhaps I can make this a learning
opportunity.
I tried to step through this code to see where the crash was happening,
but it would not do it.

I ran gdb, put a break on "main" then did "run" and then used "s" to
proceed. The controlPanel came up, but the seg fault would happen when I
clicked on "next" in the control panel.  The bt said the error was in
the buildObjects(), as in

#4  0x401b695d in _i_Error_c__raiseEvent_ () from
/usr/lib/swarm/libdefobj.so.2
#5  0x401bd971 in nil_method () from /usr/lib/swarm/libdefobj.so.2
#6  0x804cbec in _i_ObserverSwarm__buildObjects ()

but gdb was not stepping through that code. before it stepped through
any code in ObserverSwarm, to get to that crash.

I'm using the gdb snapshot-19991116.