Re: pass an ivar name through as an argument to a method?

From: Fernando Diaz
Subject: Re: pass an ivar name through as an argument to a method?
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:39:44 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Benedikt Stefansson wrote:

> Fernando Diaz wrote:
>
> > passing ivar references around is fragile.  if you want this type of
> > dynamic assignment, i would set up some sort of keyed collection in the
> > Agent which contains its possible contexts ("home","work").  that way you
> > can toss in new contexts on the fly ("mall").
>
> This is exactly what ProbeMaps are for.

Is this true?  Can you add new elements to a probe map on the fly given
they are not in the class interface?

I was just saying that, since "home" and "work" are conceptually similar
(both refer to grids), a key collection would let you have a dynamic set
of keyed grids.  I do not understand how this could be done using
ProbeMaps unless you enumerate a set of possible grid references as a
whole mess of ivars.