Performance slowdown using alloc?

From: famasce
Subject: Performance slowdown using alloc?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:47:14 +0200

To make my code more Swarm-styled (? :-)),I've replaced the following
declaration

unsigned short *matrix;

with

unsigned short **matrix;

then changed matrix allocation from

  // C style allocation
  matrix= calloc (matrixDim*matrixDim, sizeof(unsigned short));

  //Swarm style allocation
  int index;
  matrix=[[self getZone] alloc: matrixDim*sizeof(unsigned short*)];
  for (index=0;index<matrixDim;index++)
      matrix[index]=[[self getZone] alloc: matrixDim*sixeof(unsigned
short)];

 and changed the access method from

 *(matrix+ matrixDim*row+col)

 matrix[row][col]

But doing this I've noticed a slowdown in execution. Considering that I made
this modification only in a small part of the code to test it before
extending it to the whole program, I wonder if  it's really worth to go on
only to make the code more readable.

Fabio.