Re: Mathematica to Java made easier

From: Stephen C. Upton
Subject: Re: Mathematica to Java made easier
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:20:41 -0600

Benedikt,

I don't think your statement about Java3D and Linux are entirely correct. Check out:
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/jdk1.2-status/java-3d-status.html
(I admit, however, that it's only a release candidate ;-)
I haven't used Java3D on Linux yet, but we do have somebody doing some work with VisAD (this is a java3D visualization package) - check out
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/visad.html

VisAD is a pretty nice package for all types of visualization, is freely available including the source code, and is 100% java. Basically it's a framework so you can write your own applications, but there is an available application called the VisAD spreadsheet which allows one to do quick visualizations.

HTH
upton
p.s. I also like the JLink Mathematica package. If you need to do some heavy calculations and already have Mathematica, it seems to be a good way to go, IMHO.

At 02:20 PM 4/18/2000 -0600, you wrote:
Miles Parker wrote:

> Cool..of course, they make their money off of Mathematica licenses (at $1000+ a pop!), so they probably figure anything to get more people using it is all good.

I agree that the price for Mathematica is not right, I'm still using my student version that I got for $130 in the good old days.

By the way, If anyone could point out to me a visualization solution that a) runs on Linux b) is able to do 3D surface plots where you can control both the height of the surface and the color at each point on the surface I'd be very interested in knowing about it. Java3D unfortunately is not available for Linux yet so that
is out.

Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stefansson      | address@hidden
CASA, Inc.               | Ph : (505) 988-8807 x101

Stephen C. Upton  TSA-5, MS F602  Z119895
(505) 667-9435 Voice                    (505) 665-2017 Fax
address@hidden