Re: Kaffe ...

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Kaffe ...
Date: 27 May 2000 03:28:12 -0600

MD>  Make sure it is the one from http://www.transvirtual.com.

XH> Yes, it works now with: Kaffe-1.0.5-6, Thanks!  However, it
XH> puzzled me: when I tried: rpm -Uvh kaffe-1.0.5-6...., it says
XH> kaffe-1.0.5-3 is newer than 1.0.5-6 version.

The RPM from www.transvirtual.com, which, although it uses a release
number of `6' as opposed to `3' in the Red Hat RPM case, is actually
not `newer' (I think transvirtual use the 6 to indicate that it is
compiled on a Red Hat 6.x machine).

Since Red Hat (since 6.1) now distribute kaffe on their standard
CD-ROM (although it's not installed by default), ideally we should
support the Red Hat RPM (since most users will have access to their
CD-ROM for installation and it will save that extra download!)

Ideally the swarm-kaffe RPMs should be insensitive to either RPM and
work for both RPMs (the RPM should just check the major kaffe number -
1.0.5).

The only difference (and an annoying difference at that!) between the
RPMs is that the Red Hat filesystem layout is every so slightly
different from Transvirtual's in that the Kaffe executable is found:

/usr/lib/kaffe/Kaffe           in Red Hat, but
/usr/lib/kaffe/bin/Kaffe       in the Transvirtual case

To make swarm-kaffe work with the standard Red Hat kaffe RPM, all you
need to do is to:

$ cd ~/src/Swarm/jheatbugs/
$ cp /usr/bin/javaswarm
$ vi javaswarm

<edit the line:>

JAVACMD=${jdkdir}/lib/kaffe/bin/Kaffe

<to read:>

JAVACMD=${jdkdir}/lib/kaffe/Kaffe

$ ./javaswarm StartHeatbugs

and you should be home!

Time permitting, I'll go ahead and add some more smarts to the Swarm
RPMs, so that folks can use the Red Hat kaffe RPMs `out of the box'.

Alex
--
Alex Lancaster * address@hidden * www.santafe.edu/~alex * 505 984-8800 x242
Santa Fe Institute (www.santafe.edu) & Swarm Development Group (www.swarm.org)