Re: Is "static" meaningful in Objective-C methods?

From: M Lang / S Railsback
Subject: Re: Is "static" meaningful in Objective-C methods?
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:45:41 -0800

Paul E Johnson wrote:

> <Naive C question alert>

> Using this in Swarm would let me get rid of a bunch of IVARS that hold
> values of seldom-used methods, so I could clean up some code. But I've
> not seen this in Swarm examples, and wonder if there is a danger of
> class instances corrupting or accidentally using each other's values for
> static variables.

We use static variables all the time, often for flag variables, as in:

- printSurvivalReport {
   FILE * survReportPtr=NULL;
   const char * survivalReport = "SurvivalTest.rpt";
   static BOOL survReportFirstTime=YES;

     if( survReportFirstTime == YES ) {
         if( (survReportPtr = fopen(survivalReport, "w+")) == NULL ) {
            [InternalError raiseEvent:"ERROR: Cannot open %s for
writing",survivalReport];
         }

fprintf(survReportPtr,"%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-19s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-15s%-17s%-15s%-15s\n","Species",

              "Length",

              "Weight", ...

Steve
--