floating point time scheduling

From: Andre Costa
Subject: floating point time scheduling
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:23:35 +1030 (CST)

Hi,

I have a question regarding the implementation of the floating point time
schedule as given by Marcus on Feb. 18, 2000 in the mailing list archives.
(the Java implementation).

I am writing a simulation in which the objects each have their own
schedule, as seen in the SDG model (the Complex Systems Summer School 2000
Swarm tutorial example on the Swarm website).

At any timestep, the objects in the SDG model can access

        (int) Globals.env.getCurrentTime()

and all be "synchronized" to the absolute (integer) time of the
simulation.

I am trying to write a similar type of simulation in which all objects
have their own _floating point_ time scheduling system, using the
scheduling "machinery" given in the mailing list example I mentioned
above.

My question is: what is the relation between the times returned by

        (int) Globals.env.getCurrentTime()

and the time returned by

        (int) scheduleActivity.getCurrentTime()

and what would be the best way of using the floating point time scheduling
system whilst still getting the correct synchronization of "clocks"
between objects (the objects in the model have to send scheduling
time related messages to each other to execute methods at times in the
future).

thanks,
Andre.

Andre Costa
Research Student

Teletraffic Research Centre           Telephone: (08) 8303 3237
Department of Applied Mathematics     Fax:       (08) 8303 4395
University of Adelaide                Email:address@hidden
South Australia  5005