Re: Errors after Swarm install on LinuxPPC

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: Errors after Swarm install on LinuxPPC
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:28:58 -0800

DS> Heatbugs and Mousetrap would not compile.  I keep getting these
DS> weird "ifeq" related errors.

MG> What is your setting for SWARMHOME?  This is something about your
MG> configuration or modifications you are making to these apps.

PJ> I have seen this before. Your file is "corrupted" by MS windows
PJ> characters!

MG> I bet you're right.  Always re-unpack the tarball!

I have no idea how the files could have been corrupted since I never let them into Windows (I downloaded them from ftp.swarm.org). But, I downloaded a fresh copy of the tarball and then unpacked it and it ran.

I did have one problem:

address@hidden heatbugs]$ ./heatbugs
*** event raised for warning: ResourceAvailability
*** function: tkobjc_setColor(), file: /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2001-01-23/src/tkobjc/internal.m, line: 639
Problem allocating color #040000.  Switching to virtual colormap.
*** execution continuing...

This happens with other Raster based simulations and does look really ugly and hard to intuit what is going on in the simulations.

DS> COM.h

MG> Perhaps it wasn't included.  To avoid this, don't use VarProbe.h, but
MG> objectbase.h for probe-related declarations.

I never used VarProbe.h, but I did use #import <objectbase/ProbeMap.h> and as I tracked down the ProbeMap.h file, I saw that it calls VarProbe.h which in turn calls #include "../defobj/COM.h" There is no COM.h in /usr/include/swarm/defobj , but there is a COMProxy.h file there.

I cut out the /ProbeMap.h and now only have objectbase.h in the files. This solved the previous problems with the COM.h include. I still have some other issues, but will continue working on them.

Thanks for all the help.  I am glad to be making progress.

        Darren

                 Darren Schreiber
                  Attorney at Law
                 Graduate Student