Re: Replicator script

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: Replicator script
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 12:06:12 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> PJ> Speaking of -s, I've recently started to wish there were two more
> PJ> default command line flags in Swarm programs to ease the replication of
> PJ> simulations.  I would like a standard -S to specify a seed value and -R
> PJ> to indicate run number.
>
> I think a -S option would be useful, but why does Swarm need to know
> the run number?  Perhaps you could use the -m option for that?

I use the run to number the filenames of the output, like Culture0,
Culture1, etc. That makes it easy to cycle through the files and compare
graphs in R.  (I'm not using hdr5, still...)

I had never heard of the -m option before. Interesting.  In --help
output I see:

 -m, --mode=MODE            Specify mode of use (for archiving)

Can MODE be any string I want? Should it be in quotation marks?  I'm
reading the arguments refs right now, and see the methods
getAppModeString and setAppModeString.  I don't see why I couldn't use
that for the run, unless I had some other vital thing in the mode, which
I don't.

> Setting the seed is easy (see below), all that is needed is another
> command line option.
>
> http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.0104/0024.html
Great.  Of course, I don't presume to tell you how to do it. If you want
me to try, fire me an email.