Re: GNU Java Compiler and Swarm

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: GNU Java Compiler and Swarm
Date: 23 Jun 2001 00:45:22 -0600

PJ> objdump: /tmp/swarm-root/usr/bin/javacswarm: File format not
PJ> recognized objdump: /tmp/swarm-root/usr/bin/javaswarm: File format
PJ> not recognized I don't know what the heck is up with that, but the
PJ> installed files work fine to compile java swarm and run java swarm
PJ> the old fashioned way.

It sounds like the process that makes the RPMs is looking at the
programs that are installed and then checks those scripts, which of
course aren't executables that objdump can process.  Maybe the RPM
building process does that so it can determine what the shared library
dependencies are or something like that..

PJ> Now, concerning the gcj compile using swarmgcj.so. This is where
PJ> trouble started.  I installed swarmgcj.so into /usr/lib/swarm with
PJ> the other shared libraries from swarm. Bad guess?

As good as anything, I suppose..  Another idea would be to unpack the
swarm.jar file and compile it on the fly.  I.e., not distribute
gcjswarm.so at all.  I haven't tried that, but it should work..

PJ> thread "main" java.lang.AbstractMethodError: createBegin at

First make sure that you have the Swarm libraries and GCJ libraries in
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

If that doesn't do it, try rebuilding without HDF5 support.  I thought
it was a fluke when it happened to me.  Let me know if that fixes it
(assuming it wasn't the LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and I'll tell you the details
of what I did...