RE: Instantiating multiple ModelSwarms

From: Fred Wan
Subject: RE: Instantiating multiple ModelSwarms
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:42:39 +0200

Come on, admit it: Swarm (and its inventors) is the biggest tease around!
(just joking)

> Don't tease me this way.  If you go in the script and take out
> the -b option, then you can run gui swarms, one after the
> other.  Its just like Drone, repeatedly run a model with various

I found that out today, thanks. There are also lots of other possibilities,
also for running batches. As long as you have only one GUISwarm it's OK. So
I hypothesize it's also possible to have multiple runs with a control panel
that's on the run level with which you can control the whole thing at the
time-step level. Something like ManagerSwarm(isa Swarm)->ObserverSwarm(isa
GUISwarm)->ModelSwarm(isa Swarm)... If ObserverSwarm is now parameterized in
such a way that by pulling a few switches the EZGraph & Grid2dDisplay
objects can appear and disappear when you want I'm getting close to what I
want (but I'm still not sure if it'll work (because I don't know if a
GUISwarm can be controlled by a Swarm). Using replicator seems the easiest
way.

> As I recall, you said originally you wanted to run the repeated
> simulations because the sim at step t was learning something
> from the results at t-1, and you will have to work that out by
> writing findings into files and reading them back in.

Right, thanks.

> If you need the gui, and you want to run things by remote
> control, you should reconsider the lesson I offer here:
> http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/ps909/simpleObserverBug3-6.tar.gz
> All of that stuff can be made to work in java, especially since
> Sven has exhaustively catalogued ways of processing command line
> arguments in java.

Where?