making EZGraph multiple sequence data output into hdf5 work?

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: making EZGraph multiple sequence data output into hdf5 work?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:01:43 -0500

Dear Marcus (who I expect is the only human alive who will actually know
the anser for this one) and other people who want to offer wild guesses:

Here is my status

I have the new
hdf5-1.4.2 (for which the RPM is available on my site)
Swarm-2.1.104 (for which the RPMS are available on my site)
R-1.3.1  (RPM from R site)
R-hdf5 support (from ftp.swarm.org, installed manually)
gcc-3.0.1

I have verified with the sss-2.1 code that I can generate the sss.hdf
file, and open it up in R, look at the numbers, and also the sss program
runs when compiled with USE_HDF5.

I also verified that the original vector output code:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/WorkingExampleCode/java/TestHDF5Vectors.java
Does work to create the hdf file, and I ran read that in R, and I see
numbers in ther.

So I think the hdf5 support is working.

But if I run this example application that saves values from EZGraphs,:
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/WorkingExampleCode/java/TestEZGraphHDF5.java
it creates a file data.hdf that I think is empty.  Here is my evidence.

> library(hdf5)
> hdf5load("./data.hdf")
> graph$agent
[1] 0
> graph
$agent
[1] 0

furthermore I see
$ h5dump data.hdf
HDF5 "data.hdf" {
GROUP "/" {
   GROUP "graph" {
      DATASET "agent" {
         DATATYPE  H5T_IEEE_F64LE
         DATASPACE  SIMPLE { ( 1 ) / ( H5S_UNLIMITED ) }
         DATA {
            0

If you might tell me what is wrong, I would appreciate it.