RedHat 7.2, swarm, and that warm gooey feeing....

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: RedHat 7.2, swarm, and that warm gooey feeing....
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 17:01:53 -0600

Now that RedHat 7.2 is out, I figure it is easier to bend/break to their
will rather than try to impose mine, so:

Soon there will be Swarm RPMS for Marcus's newest snapshots of swarm,
and those will be for RH7.2.

RH7.2 installs the gcc-3.0.1 under the package name gcc3 and the gcc
compiler is renamed gcc3.  As a result, people who want to use the RPMS
will need to be RH7.2 users, or they will have to find a way to install
gcc3 on older redhats. THere is also a needed upgrade of hdf5 because
something in the ssl changed and hdf5 has to be rebuilt. When I have it
ready, I will tell here.

So consider this fair warning. If you are on the cutting edge of Swarm
RPM usage, you might think about upgrading to REdHat7.2.  On 3 systems,
I've done it so far, including the automatic conversion from the ext2 to
ext3 file system and the grub boot loader, all seems well so far, except
the printer drivers dont work on systems that use samba shared printers,
and, like redhat 7.1,I had to remove the printconf and intstall the
RedHat 7.0 printtool. But then printing works again.