scripting support for swarm ?

From: daniel kottow
Subject: scripting support for swarm ?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:57:29 +0100

hello everybody,

and specially to marcus since this question mainly adresses an issue
mentioned in the swarm tech report 2000. i am very interesting in making my
swarm-objects (written in objective C) accessible through a scripting
language. i saw that there are plans/code to support scheme in
future/present releases, although i couldn't find any looking superficially
through the latest tar-file swarm-2001-12-07.tar.gz :-(

my idea is basically to run my simulations from a command line of an
interpreter, invoking (at least) the methods bound currently to the control
panel plus adding object/parameter inspection/manipulation for the most
important simulation elements. i thought about using python for this (since
i believe python to have nice numeric capabilities), but it seems like
SWIG, a wrapper library for exposing "low-level" libraries to scripting
languages doesnt support objective C at the moment (and maybe never will
anymore, because of lack of interest, they claim).

my question is: is my approach similar (or compatible) with the scripting
capabilites planned for swarm ? is there any (realtively straightforward)
way to make a swarm simulation run from a guile command line ? otherwise, i
still could think of wrapping some methods in C and then calling them from
python... or are there any other people who have used or thought of similar
approaches ?

greetings, daniel

--
Daniel Kottow                                    address@hidden