BLT problems with Linux Mandrake 8.1

From: Raul Bagni
Subject: BLT problems with Linux Mandrake 8.1
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:46:09 +0200

Hello:

I'm facing to a problem on SWARM with BLT under Operating System Linux Mandrake 8.1.

I'm trying the Paul Johnson's source distribution 2.1.131.20020206.

During the SWARM setup I had no problems, the configuration step was ok with parameters:
        ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-defaultdir=/usr
and the two make steps were ok too.

Now, the heatbugs compilation is ok - setting the SWARMHOME to /usr/local - but, running heatbugs (or any other sample) i receive the following error message:

    "BLT support file `bltGraph.tcl' not found
If the directory `/usr/local/share/blt2.4' not the intended location for the BLT support files,
    please adjust BLT_LIBRARY to the right place."

This message come from the TkExtra.m source, where the method "ensureBltSupportFiles" check the existence of 'bltGraph.tcl'. But I can't find 'bltGraph.tcl' in Mandrake installation of BLT, the .tcl scripts I'm able to find are only in /usr/share/demo. So what I can do ?

Anybody have had this kind of problem ?

As already mentioned I use the Mandrake 8.1 Linux distribution with:
BLT2.4u (standard for Mandrake)
gcc-3.0 (standard for Mandrake, note that I use this instead of gcc2.96 setting the symbolic link in /usr/bin)
gdb-5.0 (standard for Mandrake)
hdf5-1.4.2 (installed in /usr/local)
jdk-1.3.1 (installed in /usr)
libffi-1.20 (installed in /usr/local)
libpng-1.0.12 (standard for Mandrake)
make-3.79.1 (standard for Mandrake)
tcl8.3.3 (standard for Mandrake)
tk8.3.3 (standard for Mandrake)
xpm-3.4k (standard for Mandrake)
zlib-1.1.3 (standard for Mandrake)

You can see here the piece of code responsible for the message. What happens if I force the search for
/usr/bin/bltsh ?

" ----------------------------------------
static void
ensureBltSupportFiles (id arguments, id interp)
{
  const char *fileName = "bltGraph.tcl";
  const char *basePath = [interp globalVariableValue: "blt_library"];
  BOOL retry = NO;

  do {
    char buf[strlen (basePath) + 1 + strlen (fileName) + 1];
    char *p;

    p = stpcpy (buf, basePath);
    p = stpcpy (p, "/");
    p = stpcpy (p, fileName);

    if (access (buf, F_OK) == -1)
      {
        if (!retry)
          {
            const char *swarmHome = [arguments getSwarmHome];
            if (swarmHome)
              {
                const char *libdir = "share/blt2.4";
                char libPath[strlen (swarmHome) + strlen (libdir) + 1];
                char *p;

                p = stpcpy (libPath, swarmHome);
                stpcpy (p, libdir);

                basePath = OSTRDUP (arguments, libPath);
                setBltLibrary (interp, libPath);
              }
            else
              {
                basePath = ".";
                setBltLibrary (interp, basePath);
              }
            retry = YES;
            continue;
          }
        else
          {
            fprintf (stderr, "BLT support file `%s' not found\n", fileName);
fprintf (stderr, "If the directory `%s' not the intended location for " "the BLT support files,\nplease adjust BLT_LIBRARY to the "
                     "right place.\n", basePath);
            exit (1);
    else
      break;