Re: simulating large models

From: Jason Alexander
Subject: Re: simulating large models
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:04:17 +0100

Does anyone have experience with simulating large models with swarm?
Is swarm prepared to distributed simulations across several
processors/machines?
We're thinking of large market models which may include hundreds (or even
thousands) of customers (agents) and we foresee scalability problems.

A model including hundreds or thousands of agents will not, in principle, present a problem unless your agents are particularly complex or resource hungry. Swarm easily handles lattice models where each slot in a grid is occupied by an agent and the lattice has dimensions 200x200 or 300x300 (so you have 40000 or 90000 agents existing at once).

What does become more important with large models are the algorithms you use for manipulating the population. Inefficient algorithms which don't seem to slow things down in small models can easily become a bottleneck in large models. If the agents are of heterogenous types, using the standard Swarm messaging methods can also incur a performance hit, unless things have changed recently. One of my lattice models in which the agents were heterogenous slowed down by an order of magnitude because of some internal changes to Swarm's messaging methods required to support the Java interface. However, I was able to avoid this performance hit by using an alternative method of passing messages to the agents.

If I remember correctly, Swarm doesn't support distributed models in a transparent way. (That is, you write a model and Swarm distributes the computational load across several machines.)

However, I'm always a bit curious as to why one might need to do this, aside from the coolness factor. You can get a Linux box with 2 or 4 high-speed processors and a gig of ram (or more) for reasonable amounts nowadays. With a box like that I would think one would be able to do an awful lot, especially if one wrote the model efficiently. (I.e., instead of having 24 separate boolean variables, use a single int with bit arithmetic.)

Cheers,

Jason

--
J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method