Re: What's all this about Swarm modifying the runtime?

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: What's all this about Swarm modifying the runtime?
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:30:10 +1000

Hi Alex

>Actually I am trying to hack the gcc code merging the
>powerpc-netbsd-gcc with darwin-powerpc-gcc, since the netbsd has not
>the Next-objc inside him, while Darwin has netbsd code inside him.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I hate to see people wasting time
which is so valuable.

The gcc sources have all the code to compile Obj-C source into C calls
into either the GNU runtime or the Apple one.  Indeed Darwin/MacOS X
sources contain both runtimes!  By default, the gcc sources built on
Darwin will not build the GNU libobjc and will produce a compiler which
defaults to the Apple style runtime calls.  However you can change this
easily enough with some very small mods to the build scripts.  Which
runtime you use in any given code is determined at link time not by the
compiler.  The Apple linker is opensource, but it is NOT the GNU ld.

Even that much would be a waste of time however, because Swarm does not
even use the GNU runtime.  It uses a modified version which is in the
Swarm source tree.  This runtime uses GNU style calls, hence the need for
the -fgnu-runtime flag with the compiler, but you still need to link Swarm
code against this modified libobjc not the GNU one.

Bill Northcott