Re: Swarm and GNUstep

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Swarm and GNUstep
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:04:26 -0500

Its funny you bring this up now because we have been discussing it for the past week or so in the swarm-hackers list on the Savannah system (see the swarm web page for info). Scott Christley, one of the GNUstep originators, seems to think we would have no trouble using GNUstep classes and such, especially for GUI work.

I am just learning the meaning of the term "runtime" and I'm trying to figure why Swarm has its own libobjc. I've compared the header files of Swarm's libobjc files and the gcc-3.0.4 and the differences are minor.

I'm not able to access the swarm-hackers archive, possibly because I don't know Savannah's system well enough.

Stefan Urbanek wrote:
Hi,

As this is my firts post to this list, let me introduce myself. I am a student of Slovak University of Technology and as part of my thesis I am going to write some king of multi-agent based simulation tool (virtual laboratory). Besides other key features it has to be multi-platform and easy to use and install by non-computer literate. I was considering several options including Swarm and GNUstep. Swarm already has some simulation classes I need, but I am missing some features that GNUstep has. So I was thinking about combinig the two (Swarm and GNUstep).

I cannot install Swarm properely on my system, because it uses it's own libobjc and I need to use the one included in latest GCC for GNUstep.

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504