Re: What's all this about Swarm modifying the runtime?

From: W . Northcott
Subject: Re: What's all this about Swarm modifying the runtime?
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 13:42:40 +1000

> W> in the Swarm source tree.  This runtime uses GNU style calls, hence
> W> the need for the -fgnu-runtime flag with the compiler, but you
> W> still need to link Swarm code against this modified libobjc not the
> W> GNU one.

> Marcus Daniel's post on the historical reasons for libobjc in Swarm is
> useful here.  We are at a stage where we could definitely merge any
> substantive changes in libobjc back into the mainline GNU runtime, and
> switch out our dependence on our (locally modified version of) libobjc
> (and use the GNU one).

It was a very helpful confirmation of a couple of things which I
suspected, and some very important info on the use of mframe.

> One caveat would be to test that the ObjC package version they use in
> Cygwin would work with Swarm, because as Marcus notes, historically
> Cygwin didn't include the ObjC compiler or runtime as part of Cygwin,
> and supporting MacOS X can't be at the expense of support under
> Windows (since probably half our installation base is probably on
> Windoze).

I have zero experience of Cygwin.  So I can't comment.

In a fit of madness a couple of months back, I volunteered to coordinate a
MacOS X port, and nobody was paying enough attention to object.   So I
feel it is my place to do something at this point.  Hopefully I will get
something posted later today.

Bill Northcott