quick gcc check on Swarm builds

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: quick gcc check on Swarm builds
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:54:04 -0500

Glad you asked, since I'm knee deep in gcc right now, I have all the details fresh on my mind.

Which gcc to use depends on your platform and how much trouble you go to. I only know much about RedHat and have succeeded with all RH 7X but not yet with RH8. You can grab the rpms on my website.

On RH7.3, I have succeeded with gcc.3.0.4 (after patching it with http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus_objc_gcc301.patch) and using the "METHOD_FUNCTIONS" flag option in swarm. I have the gcc rpms available too. TO see about that flag, look at the spec file that controls the Swarm build on RedHat:
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH7.3/swarm-jdk-2.1.140.spec

I believe gcc 3.0.4 will work OK without patching as long as your make of Swarm does not try to use method functions and you make on change in interface.el to disable method functions. (that means reverse this patch on Swarm: http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus-interface.patch) and do not use the -DMETHOD_FUNCTIONS flag. Please be prepared that if you use an unpatched gcc-3.0.4, you will see the harmless but ugly compiler warnings described in the Swarm FAQ

gcc 3.2 has bugs in it that block Swarm from compiling. There is a Swarm developer's email list swarm-hackers at Savannah where I've discussed them with the fellows. The biggest problem is that the protocol and casting things are broken. At first I thought some horrific swarm changes were needed, but then I joined the gcc list and they confessed that there were bugs.

gcc-20020909 fixed the bugs (at my request) but a couple of patches for Swarm are needed to compile.

If you look here:
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/
The patches I think Swarm needs are "Customize.patch" "ObjectSaver.patch" and "Signs.patch"

I believe (still checking) that if you patch gcc-3.2.x after 20020909 with the "method functions" patch (http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus_gcc301_MethodFunction.patch), and build swarm with the METHOD_FUNCTIONS option, all will go ok.

RH 8.0 distributed with a gcc 3.2 that does not work and I'm right now trying to build RPMS to replace them. The crushing aspect of this is that the gcc snap used in RH8.0 is 20020902, meaning that they were just one week too early. Right now I'm trying to build gcc 20021007 for RH8, but that is causing complications because they have raised the version number to 3.3 and they appear to have eliminated some old standards like cpp0 and tradcpp0. I am able to compile gcc but not get the rpm to build, as a result, and each effort takes several hours.

Matthew M Murphy wrote:
Paul,

Just wondering what version of GCC is best to compile swarm with these
days...

Matt

p.s.  I hope all has been well with you.