Re: Compilation of Swarm-2.1.1 in Mandrake 9.0

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Compilation of Swarm-2.1.1 in Mandrake 9.0
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:47:48 -0600

gcc 3.2 won't work. It has flaws in the handling of protocols.

You need either gcc-3.0.4 or gcc-3.3 (prerelease 2002-09-09 works for me). If you want good results, you have to patch and build one of those, or you could try the rpms from my software directory. I tire of writing all this down over and over in the email list and I suspect if you search the archive over the past 2 months. I should collect it all up and post somewhere, but the gcc situation seems so fluid that it is not worth the effort.

If you keep trying, don't do Swarm-2.1.1, but take a snapshot from the testing directory.

I have built gcc and swarm rpms, you need hdf5 rpm too.

My stuff is here

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm

I think I saw somebody post indicating that the Swarm RPMs I built for RedHat do work on Mandrake.

Ah, I see Raniero Virgilio posted this:

Finally, I can use swarm and java in Linux!
I installed Mandrake 9.0 and the rpms from P.Johnson's page for RH 7.3.
Then I installed the jdk from Sun, version 1.4.1_01 (the bin, not the rpm) in /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1_01

Then the following links:

/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0 -> j2sdk1.4.1_01
/usr/lib/libtcl.so.0 -> /usr/lib/libtcl8.3.so
/usr/lib/libtk.so.0 -> /usr/lib/libtk8.3.so
/usr/lib/libpng.so.0 -> /usr/lib/libpng.so.3.1.2.4

Everything works fine, in obj-c and in java, much much faster than on Windows. And I have no problems with graphics (wich I used to have before, using RH 7.3 and jdk 1.4.0 and 1.4.1).

Hope this could be usefull for someone else.

Raniero Virgilio

Francisco Coelho wrote:
Hi,

My name is Francisco Coelho and I'm writing this mail to you because I hope you might help me with the instalation of Swarm.

I run Mandrake Linux 9.0 with gcc 3.2
I got the source for Swarm-2.1.1 and rpm packages for blt, hdf5, xpm, tcl and tk.

All rpm packages installed altough some of them complained with missing dependencies. Anyway, all the needed libraries are installed in my system.

The problem comes when I ./configure swarm: I get checking directory of libXpm... no
configure: error: Please use --with-xpmlibdir to specify location of XPM.

and if I try ./configure --with-xpmlibdir=/usr/X11R6/lib/

I still get the same message. I tryied to read the configure script but it is too hard to understand...

Can you help me?

Thanks!

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504