Re: [swarm-hackers] A radical suggestion

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] A radical suggestion
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 19:44:59 +1100

> The compiler has a different expectation of the runtime when you change
> to -fgnu-runtime.

I am sorry to be so dense, but I don't really understand that.

>For clarity, in Makefile.common you'll see that even the
>GCC driver isn't used to link the final executable, just the linker.
>You can also see that libtool is run with -v and shows you what is
>being linked.

I am thinking libtool may be part of the problem.  As you say, you did not
use it to link your example.  Am I right in thinking that the Swarm
libtool is built by the configure process?

>  You can also see that libtool is run with -v and shows you what is
> being linked.  It's not inheriting things from the system libobjc.

Sorry, I am still not entirely convinced.  When I rename the libobjc.dylib
in the gnu folder I get:

[qs-3051:Swarm/MGD2ndexample/gnu] billn% ./example
dyld: ./example Undefined symbols:
./example undefined reference to ___objc_class_name_Object expected to be
defined in /usr/lib/libobjc.dylib
Trace/BPT trap

Which bit of code thought of looking for the symbol in
/usr/lib/libobjc.dylib - ld at link time or dyld at load time?

If I replace the libobjc.dylib in the gnu directory with the one from the
Swarm build so far, I get:

[qs-3051:Swarm/MGD2ndexample/gnu] billn% ./example
dyld: ./example Undefined symbols:
_xcalloc
_xfree
_xmalloc
_xmalloc_atomic
_xrealloc
Trace/BPT trap

It looks like the Swarm libobjc is at least partly functional because it
provided ___objc_class_name_Object, but where did the need for the other
symbols come from?
On second thoughts, don't worry about that.  I just installed the new
Apple version of X11.  It is at least an order of magnitude faster than
the old one, but it has stuffed the dynamic linking of the Swarm code.  So
I have to start from the beginning again. zzzzz

>  Don't be superstitious.

I am not paranoid.  They are out to get me.<g>

Bill