Re: Swarm hello-world

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Swarm hello-world
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:33:37 -0600

swarm has changed, but the test apps have not.

The receiver type void thing is going to come up a lot.

where a current thing has a string like

anObject = [[[Whatever create: self] doThis] doThat] doOther];

You have to change it so each individual command is sent to the aobject. SO you have to rewrite like

anObject = [Whatever create: self];
[anObject doThis];
[anObject doTHat];
[anObject doOther];

See, I'm not any more taking a return value from doThis, doThat, or doOther.

William Daniel wrote:
Hi,
I have been working with the swarm applications and some work and some don't. v01 runs but v02 and v03 do not. I have locked at the files side by side and I can't see what the problem is. I am using gedit for viewing and the terminal for running. Market does not run but tutorial and mousetrap do. v01 doesn't have a graphing capability so I don't know if the reason v02 and v03 won't run is because of this. I do not have an intel processor (if they would have told me when they upgraded this I would have gotten one) Do you think this might be the problem and should I go get it changed for an intel chip.

After the 84 and 85 are the message: warning: invalid receiver type 'void'
void value not ignored as it ought to be
invalid use of void expression
invalid receiver type 'void'
void value not ignored as it ought to be
invalid use of void expression.
I used the export SWARMHOME that you gave me and then I made clean and makeand I get
make: *** [PplObserver Swarm.o] Error 1.
Thank you for any help you can provide or where I could find this in fo.

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504