[Swarm-Support] Compilation issue: "make: *** wait: Invalid argument. S

From: Eliezer Gurarie
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Compilation issue: "make: *** wait: Invalid argument. Stop. "
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:39:14 -0800

hello,

I'm a newcomer to Swarm and am experiencing a quirk in compilation.

when I try to compile anything (my programs or simpleSwarmBug from the tutorial or any of the demo programs) I invariably get the warning message:

make: *** wait: Invalid argument.  Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** wait: No children.  Stop.

and the compilation terminates. an ".o" file still gets made each time - so i basically have to type "make" as many times as i have ".m" files until the ".exe" is made - and then the programs work just fine. it can be (has been) worked around - but its a nuisance. I am using Swarm v. 2.1 with Windows 98. several months ago, when I was learning Swarm on a Windows NT machine, I did not have this problem.

this problem has come up in the past (in the support archives) but the solution involved downloading ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/2.1-fixes which doesn't seem to exist anymore - and also doesn't explain what's going on. as a corrolary: is there an easy way to make a batch-like file inside of this faux-unix terminal Swarm gives you to work in? I was trying to make one that would just do "make" the necessary amount of times - but couldn't get anything to work.
thanks,
elie

****
Eliezer Gurarie
Quantitative Ecology and Resource Management
University of Washington
Seattle, Washington