[Swarm-Support] A Question (jSWARM Tutorial)

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] A Question (jSWARM Tutorial)
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 07:43:08 -0600

Dear Sagib:

I'm transferring this message onto the address@hidden list.

Can you compile and run other Swarm programs? For example, jheatbugs or jmousetrap? If you can run them, then we know the problem is in the program you are trying to run.

Now, here is the big issue. THere is no finished "java tutorial" aside from Marcus Daniel's online slides and program called SDG. There is a half-way finished project to make a java version of the bugs tutorial that was started by Charles Staelin (when Charles sent that to me, I named it "CharlesJavaTutorial.zip" and that is the name under which I distribute it). As far as I know, that was never finished. That tutorial has been put into the Savannah web page/CVS archive and various volunteers have appeared on the scene to do this and that, but it is not done. So I'd suggest you try to get the newest version--whatever state it is in--and then see if you can make that run. If you can't, then fix it ( :) and check the fixes back in on Savannah.

I'm browsing in Savannah and I can find the files in the CVS:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/swarm/apps/java/jtutorial/

Instructions on anonymous CVS check out are at:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=swarm

So, you can check out the code and fix it up. You will have to register as a developer in order to check in your fixes, though.

But I do not see a java tutorial listed as an active project. I'm pretty sure that was an oversight.

There was another java tutorial, by Anthony Liekens, (who runs the alife.org site). I don't know what state that is in.

If you don't want to do that, then I'd suggest you learn about java Swarm by studying the SDG example and other programs that we (SDG members) are building.

http://www.swarm.org/csss-tutorial/frames.html

Saqib Khalil wrote:
Hello!

I was trying to compile (using the makefile provided) the
SimpleObserverBug project in the jSWARM tutorial and I keep getting the
following error message:

Found 1 semantic error compiling "C:/Documents and
Settings/sk002/Desktop/thesis
/code/jheatbugs/JavaTutorial/SimpleObserverBug/ObserverSwarm.java":

   260.                  Globals.env.Completed)
*** Error: No field named "Completed" was found in type
"swarm/SwarmEnvironment"