Re: [Swarm-Support] Where to find terminal in Swarm-2.1 binary dist on W

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Where to find terminal in Swarm-2.1 binary dist on Windows ?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 08:34:51 -0600

Swarm-2.1.1, you mean?

That installs a version of the Cygwin-like framework that Marcus Daniels put together and it does put in a Swarm menu item with a terminal. If you don't have that, I can't explain why. There won't be a terminal.exe file, because Cygwin is a dos box running the bash shell.

I can see you are trying really hard to make all this work, but I wonder if you could not catch your breath. I'd suggest

1. On your linux machine, where you can easily make Swarm work, why not build some programs to find out if Swarm does what you want.

After that, it will be worth it to fuss over your windows system.

I think you are making a mistake going back to Swarm-2.1.

If I were truly desperate to use Swarm in Windows, I would try either of these 2 things.

1. On the Windows system, install Cygwin and its X server. Then log into the Linux system from there (with ssh). That way, any Windows systems you have can use the sturdy, dependable, not-full-of-crap Linux system.

or, if you don't want that,

2. On the WIndows system, be methodical and install Cygwin. Be sure to do it as the administrator, as a result of recent changes. Then install Swarm-2.2pre. Then either A. remove the tcl package Cygwin provided and install the old one. If it does not work, please report carefully on what goes wrong. We have many users for whom it does work. B. Rebuild swarm against the current Cygwin. Swarm-2.2pre is delivered with development tools, including gcc, so you can take a tarball and compile it. I believe the procedure is not substantially different than building Swarm on a Unix system, so please look at this.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#3.10

My perception is that you are bouncing around, trying lots of different things, not understanding what you are doing, and then you move on to try the next thing before you finish figuring out the one before. I can't help you very well because by the time you ask a question about something you are trying, you are on to trying yet another thing. So choose one path of attack, then keep trying until you make it work, or can UNDERSTAND why it does not work. Especially on Windows systems, you run into trouble with constantly installing and uninstalling things. Programs leave behind trash that is hard to get rid of.

amores nolikeyjunk wrote:

I decided to try falling back to the "stable" distribution
for Windows. I fetched & ran the 50Mb exe. I couldn't find
any new program groups, so I looked in the readme.html in
the root of the installation directory, but it seems to say
I'm supposed to run Terminal out of a program group. I can't
see any new program groups added by the exe ?

I tried looking in the bin subdirectory, but I didn't see any
terminal.exe, or terminal.bat, ...

Thanks for any suggestions,

Cordially,

Perry