[Swarm-Support] Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Multi-Simulator Interface. ??

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Multi-Simulator Interface. ??
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:05:29 +1000

Scott Christley wrote
> I have been thinking about implementing distributed swarm capability
> with the help of GNUstep; that is why I have been working hard on the
> Swarm code these past weeks to get it to work with GNUstep.  GNUstep
> has a Distributed Objects (DO) system, which is of course based upon
> the Proxy design pattern; something that I think NeXT patented a long
> time.  I suppose there is a point that I'm doing GNUstep while you are
> doing Java, but still I'm paranoid about patents because Swarm is GPL
> code; I don't want to get SDG sued!

As far as I can see. If you can add the GNUstep distributed opbjects
mechanism into Swarm on MacOS X, you have have also solved the problem of
using Apple's Java, and Cocoa classes.

As I understand the mechanism, it allows an object in one runtime
environment to message an object in an another.  So a Swarm class could
message an Apple class and vice versa.

Bill Northcott