[Swarm-Support] Village inquiries

From: Tim Kohler
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Village inquiries
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 07:51:52 -0700

Hi everyone. "Village" is under very active development right now with people here at Washington State and at Wayne State busily modifying it. We are all just back from a conference at the Society for American Archaeology in Montreal where we gave papers about our progress. The current round of work is also in collaboration with the Crow Canyon Archaeological Center (for help with empirical validation) and two hydrologists (Ken Kolm and Schaun Smith) who are working on a paleohydrological model of the area that we hope to eventually couple to the Swarm sim. All this is funded by an NSF Biocomplexity Coupled Human/Natural Systems grant.

Because of all this activity there is no stable "release" of village available now, although there will be eventually (except for real site location data, which we can't disclose). (Not sure if there is still an ancient [prehistoric?] version of Village available through the CVS repository: start at http://savannah.nongnu.org/news/?group=swarm; it might be packaged with the 2.1.1 release if that's still available). We will make an effort to get to the 2005 Swarmfest to update the community about what we're doing. Meanwhile some information is available at the project website -- http://www.wsu.edu/~village/index.html -- on which we'll soon put some of the papers just given in Montreal. Also there will be a related paper out in the journal Computational and Mathematical Organization Theory (http://www.kluweronline.com/issn/1381-298X/contents) pretty soon . . . first author Reynolds.

Thanks for your interest and hope this all helps a little.

best, TK