Re: [Swarm-Support] installing swarm on mac os 10.2

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] installing swarm on mac os 10.2
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:17:04 +1000

On 21/05/2004, at 4:45 AM, anja lee wrote:
I am new to swarm and have downloaded all the necessary 10.2 files from the website and installed it. I am trying to run someone else's Objective C folder with a makefile and did a "make" and this is what the output was:

I am not sure what you mean by "run someone else's Objective C folder." Can you explain?

bash-2.05a$ make
cc -c -ggdb -O2 -Wno-long-double -fgnu-runtime -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Wno-import -Wno-protocol -Wno-long-long -DAPPNAME=somename -DAPPVERSION=0.01 address@hidden -I/usr/local/swarm2.2p/include somefile.m
/var/tmp//ccf019Ju.s:1:Expected comma after segment-name
/var/tmp//ccf019Ju.s:1:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 76 (L).
/var/tmp//ccf019Ju.s:2:Expected comma after segment-name
stuff removed
make: *** [somefile.o] Error 1
bash-2.05a$

I think /var/tmp//ccf019.s is a temporary assembler code file produced by the compiler from the source and which is then fed to the assembler (as) to produce object code. The assembler clearly does not like what it finds and is spitting errors from line 1. So it looks likes the file may be zero length. Basically your compiler is not working the way you are invoking it.

I suspect this is a permission problem related to your efforts to "run someone else's Objective C folder."

I have read that you need gcc 3.3. would i need that for 10.2 and where can i download a copy that won't hurt the makes of mac binaries.

You need gcc 3.3. More importantly, you get a copy of 10.3 with the latest developer tools which you can download from http://developer.apple.com/. You need to register on ADC but that is free. 10.3 is much improved on 10.2 for any open source code. The gcc3.3 compiler supplied with Xcode 1.2 may work. I have not had time to test it. However, if it does not, just download my patched version from the link on the Swarm Savannah site http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/swarm.

Finally for the record, Swarm libraries do not contain gcc headers with possible exception of the Objective-C runtime. However, the GNU Objective-C runtime won't build on MacOS X without modification, and is not included with any gcc for the platform.

Bill Northcott