Re: [Swarm-Support] FW: 1) Storing a queue in a swarm object (2) Passing

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] FW: 1) Storing a queue in a swarm object (2) Passing a variable with a method and inserting it in a ModelSchedule
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:24:03 -0500

Mervin Chan wrote:
Hi,

I have some newbie questions. I am primarily doing development on a Swarm application using Java for my University research project.

My two questions are:

1)       Is there any way to add a queue in a Swarm object?

In my application (modeling a manufacturing plant), I have a “Factory” and many “Product” objects.

Products have different time-stamps to represent the time that they are created. Once the products are created, I want the Factory to store the Products in ascending order of their timestamps.

If you just use a Swarm List (or a java list, for that matter) and addLast the new things, then they will be processed in order.
2) Is there a way to pass a variable together with the method and then inserting it in a ModelSchedule.

Yes, that's a common thing. I believe every single Swarm model does that. Don't you find an example like you need in jheatbugs, or jmousetrap? I wrote a Java version of ElFarol a while ago, you could look at that. OR the Java version of the Artificial Stock Market you can grab off http://artstkmkt.sourceforge.net.

If you look in the working examples:
http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/WorkingExampleCode/java/

I suggest you look at the one Marcus Daniels did FActionArguments.txt

The transition from ObjC to Java was somewhat dicey and Marcus Daniels worked out some new, more efficient ways to do the "createActionForEach" and he discussed that new "createFActionForEach" thing in some things I've saved in the memos directory

http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/Memos/

All I know is what Marcus taught us on that one. Consult:

http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/Memos/MarcusJavaCreateActions.txt
http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/Memos/MarcusJavaCreateActions2.txt
http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/Memos/MarcusJavaCreateFActions.txt

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504